Wednesday, January 18, 2006

What is in a Ph.D.

Everytime people get to know that I am doing a Ph.D. they ask me what it is about.
I have to sugar-coat my replies when in reality I want to just hand them one of my published papers and say something like "thats what its about, if you understand it then please explain it to me also".

I think if anything Ph.D. teaches you patience. Because sometimes I feel Ph.D. is all about waiting (or learning to wait!).
Waiting for your papers to be accepted or rejected.
Waiting for your supervisor.
Waiting to get results.

Ph.D. is like meditation. One has to be cool and calm and realise that a Ph.D. will last for minimum three years.
The three years of introspection and being alone in your work does give you tremendous confidence. On good days I feel like an eagle soaring high above everyone else.

But on bad days its difficult even to get out of bed.
:)

No comments: