Thursday, December 04, 2008

E.M.I. - predictable but fun...

E.M.I. is one movie which I was not sure whether I wanted to see or not. I thought it would be same old Bollywood stupidity. Just out of curiosity I watched the movie since on the face of it at least the theme appeared different and it had few decent actors (Urmila and Sanjay Dutt).

In the end I ended up enjoying the movie. The story was, if not 100% based on real life, at least kept real life in sight. I was not whisked away to a foreign land to see our actors dancing around and pretending to be super-cool US ishtyle.

The movie has four parallel stories where the central factor is, as you must have already guessed, people taking loans. All the stories are believable and could happen to any of us.

Over all, without giving away too much of the story, I enjoyed Sanjay Dutts acting but he tries to do a Munna-bhai in this movie which doesn't work. It makes the ending seem rushed as he solves all their problems in last 40 mins of the movie. But maybe they wanted a feel-good movie. Mostly people go to movie to forget the real world for some time. One surely doesn't want to frustrate the audience by exposing them to reality throughout the movie.

Where the movie does go wrong is in the choice of actors. Arjun Rampal was surely the worst possible choice for his role. He is bit one dimensional in this movie. I am sure if the roles were better matched the movie would be even more hard-hitting.

On the whole I enjoyed the movie. More than anything I liked the practical message of the movie which is explicitly stated towards the end of the movie:

'Take loans but with caution'
After all we don't want India and Indian people to be burdened with credit nor do we want the banks to be burdened with bad-credit which would lead to a desi 'credit-crunch' of massive proportions.

No comments: