Friday, June 13, 2008

"If no one is going to read me in one hundred years, why should I write at all"

A few days ago I slept. I slept like a dead man. I slept because I was exhausted.
Emotions were trying to crowd into my head. So I went off to sleep.

I got up few hours later with my mind absolutely blank.

It felt as if I was floating.
I forgot that it was dinner time and that I was hungry.
I forgot I had work to do. I was floating somewhere between worlds.

Then thoughts started entering my mind. I was returning to Earth. I was falling back to Earth.
I could see my whole life ahead. I had questions. Was anything worth it? We all have to die one day then why struggel.

As I continued falling towards Earth the view became more localised. Now I was asking questions about the weeks ahead. How, what, when?

As I was about to crash into the ground I realised where I was and the things I had lined up ahead. The work that I had to do in the night. Things pending.

Suddenly I was back on Earth. Focus on what was immediately in front.

That is when I realised my body was broken and shattered from the fall. I could see the grass in front of my face, I could see the flowers. The focus was back. But I was unable to do anything with it.

I was a dying man. I could feel it. I was happy. The struggle was over.

Then I saw standing above me a figure full of light. I realised it was me. It was my essence. Slowly I felt the light seep into me. My broken body healed. I could move. I could stand and then I could fight again.

As an actor once said in some movie..
"If no one is going to read me in one hundred years, why should I write at all"

Floating is amazing.
There is only reason why one might want to come back to Earth - to do something that leaves a lasting impression on humanity.

2 comments:

The thinking thinker said...

Does everyone has to leave a lasting impression on humanity?

Azahar Machwe said...

That depends on your definition of humanity.
If for you, humanity is a significant portion of the world's population then the answer is no. Everyone can leave a lasting impression. There can't be a million Tendulkar's or a billion Einsteins.

But if for you, humanity means the people around you, especially those that you interact with daily then yes.

I used humanity in the latter sense.