Friday, June 22, 2007

The Longest Day..



21st June is the longest day of the year for the Northern Hemisphere. It is the day of the summer solstice.

On that day I became aware of this:

"she talks of you as if you have gone for work and will be back in the evening"

This is what living away from family feels like. Being in UK is my longest day at work. I come home for rest only once a year (for a month). There is great celebration at my arrival. My departure is likewise greatly mourned.

I achieve success through sacrifice. Success for my mother. Success for my close friends.

Coming home in the 'evening' (usually around December every year) is the most amazing feeling. I can't sleep. I can't rest. I hurt badly when I am home. I fall ill. I die. But I love it! It makes me realise I am a human being after all!

Being away from home. In UK. A different part of me comes alive. Part wolf, part human. My most basic instincts come alive. Those instincts go to sleep when I am in India in the comfort of my home. Where I don't have to fight.

Here in UK, I lie in my 6 by 2 bed (feels like a coffin) and be at peace. That is why I call UK a comfortable grave. The universal cure.

This reminds me of the following lines from 'Zombie' by the Cranberries:
Another head hangs lowly,
Child is slowly taken.
---
But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,





No comments: