Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Truth and TV

Yesterday me and my housemate were watching TV while eating dinner. I was going through the TV guide when I saw that we had some of the Hindi TV channels (Star Plus and Star News) free for a week.

Now since we had nothing better to do we decided to watch a soap opera (something which mostly women watch back home!).
The name of the soap was 'Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki' which means (approximately) 'story of a common house'. The only problem is, as my friend put it, the serial had nothing to do with reality. In fact it was SO far from reality that probably it would make a nice fairy tale for children. Of course there was also nothing 'common' about the houses or the people they show.

Here are some common trends in Indian soaps:
1) All women are super sexy looking even the old ones.
2) Women are decked out in 'full gear' through out the day which includes jewellery, sexy saris, makeup and ofcourse that good old sindoor.
3) Inspite of all the clothes and stuff they manage to do their daily duties (god only knows how but I hope I get a wife like that!) without breaking into a sweat or smearing their makeup.
4) People never look their age. Often mother-daughter pairs look like sisters.
5) Kids grow at exponential rate into adults (about 6 months worth of episodes) or don't grow at all (like good old Archies comics).
6) Adults always look and stay the same year after year (magic of makeup and soft focus!).
7) Old people never die and look like all nice and presentable (nothing like real life.. hell no!).
8) All the families (even the poor ones) life in houses that look more like a small luxury hotel!
9) The households never seem to have any problems with electricity, water or any other such day to day problems.

:D
And the name of the serials inspire such commonality.
Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki -> Story of a common house.
Kasauti Zindagi Ki -> The foundation of life.
Kyonki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi -> Because Once upon a time even a mother-in-law was a daughter-in -law.

Amazing!

4 comments:

Meera said...

I would never call these serials "fairy tales" niether would I allow my siblings to watch them. And do you know why all the serials start from "k". Because all the stories are written by the same writer. One must give credit to the writer that she has done good job in representing her traditions and culture.

Azahar Machwe said...

Why wouldn't you allow your siblings to watch them?
Trust me the writer does not represent any of our traditions or culture.
Traditions and culture are defined by the common man. Not by the elite few.
:)

Meera said...

I wasn't clear I guess. By traditions I meant how they show the festive occasions in the serials like "Holi" and stuff. Because they do it with such zeal and enthusiasm people who don't know about the religions have learnt quite a lot because of the serials. My friends even say she knows all the prayers because its repeated in the movies and dramas.And I wouldnt allow my siblings because its just a waste of time. Fairy tales are much better....

Azahar Machwe said...

Well said.. always good to have your comments on my blog!