Sunday, November 06, 2005

Dreams about school..

Another wet and cold sunday morning here in Bristol UK. I just got up for a cricket match. But my sleep was not untroubled. I had this strange dream.
I had been missing school for the last four months and I was wondering how I would go back. I was trying to think up an excuse for my absence. I had been off for more than three months and I was nervous as to what would happen when I return.
Strange as it sounds we all have nightmares about school. Why is that the case? Why this common fear of school?
I believe that formal education for some people can mean the killing of something which God has given them. I am talking about instinct and the ability to free-think (or think freely).
The problem is that as the modern society gets more materialistic people are having to work harder to earn more money. This means that sometimes they are spending less time with their kids. To educate their children there is need for an assembly line system of learning as provided for in a school.
In India the system takes a strange approach to educating a child. First we systematically take away any kind of individuality from a child. We do this by having an almost uniform education system for the first ten years in school. Thus this first stage is the stage of uniformization. The randomness is reduced in the population of kids and they are made to converge to the common target of the 10th Class board exams. Once the kids have proved (or failed to prove) themselves on this common platform they are allowed to 'diverge' into three different classes: Sciences/Commerce/Social Sciences.
The schools in New Delhi surprisingly discourage brilliance in Social Sciences and encourage it in Sciences. They do this by ensuring that the marks required for getting Sceince are the highest followed by those for Commerce and then finally comes the 'Social Sciences'.
Students who get great marks are 'encouraged' to take sceince. Science (at least when I was in school) was considered to be the elite subject and the Social Sciences classes were populated by the failures and the rejects.
It is also strange that for a country of one billion we give least importance to social sciences.

No comments: