Monday, November 19, 2007

Om Shanti Om: And the Search for a Story Continues!

When two people, who don't know each other, give you the same advice about a movie, you would be stupid not to listen and take that piece of advice.
When it came to Om Shanti Om, also known as OSO, three people gave me the same advice: "Go with your brain switched off"
Well I did switch off my brain and by GOD did I have a tough time getting it restarted after the movie! I think my brain had a near death experience of its own while I was watching OSO.
Let me first give out the positives:
1) Deepika Padukone: She has a very beautiful face. But I realised one can get bored of it real quick, because in the movie, every second scene has her face in close zoom or you see her dressed up in beautiful sarees and evening dresses. After a bit her face looses its charm.
2) SRK and his abs: One has to admire SRK for the effort he has put into rebuilding his body for this movie especially at his age!
3) The sets and the production quality: While some of the sets were lifted directly from West End stageshows and Broadway musicals the production quality and the feel of the movie is quite professional.
4) Om Shanti Om song: A great touch to bring in all the actors for a romp on the dance floor.


I won't concentrate a lot on the negatives because there are many. Obviously the story is weak, in fact one can say there is no story. It looks like a patchy mix of 3 or 4 different stories; starting with a romantic story, then in between action, then suspense and ending with horror. When are we going to get a movie which combines slick production with a good story?
Then we have the overacting in certain parts of the movie. Finally of course I couldn't help but note the background theme stolen from Constantine in the scene where Arjun Rampal arrives at the burntout studio for the muhurat and SRK exits the car.
All in all, the advice given to me still rings true: "Go with you brain switched off"
But I would like to add a line to that: "Only if you have nothing better to do"
:)

2 comments:

Adita said...

Thats what Farah Khan said in one of her interviews that the movie is complete masala that she has tried to make from different movies. It was a complete entertainment with everything - action, romance, drama, comedy. And that over reacting was purposely done. It was clear they have picked the dramatic dialogues from various movies. :)

Azahar Machwe said...

Yeah I agree with trying to make a masala movie. But, if you read the review carefully, what I did not like was the patchy way the themes were put together. :)

Overacting in my humble opinion, does not suit stars who as it is tend to overact. :)