Friday, August 04, 2006

The First Indian

Yellowknife is a small city (Population approx: 20,000).
I might have been the first Indian tourist there. There are some Indian doctors working at the local hospital but they are probably Canadian-Indians.
Anyway I went to the National Assembly building for North-West Territories and there they had a world-map on which you were supposed to put a pin on your home city.

This is the map:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now zooming in on India there was no pin on any Indian city but one pin on Karachi, Pakistan. This made me wonder was I the first Indian there and closely following that who the hell came here from Karachi!

Here is the zoomed view:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Well then I did what a true Indian would do, instead of putting a pin on Bristol, UK I put the pin on New Delhi, India. That is where I am from. One cannot deny ones roots. Its like cutting off your hands so that you can run faster.

Here is the map once I put in the pin on New Delhi:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I chose a white pin coz white means peace. India stands for peace. Even though it is not the most peaceful country in the world. Bombs still go off, people still get raped and murdered. But it is what we are supposed to stand for.

All these things didn't go through my mind right then. I was thinking about the rain which was falling outside (wishing it to end). But later on I realised that we as Indian now represent something. Whenever we step out we show the world what India is about. Whether we get a good or bad reputation as world travellers... that is up to you and me. So I may have been the first Indian tourist there. Whatever the case may be.. I know one thing, I did give out an image of India. I just hope it was the correct one..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This trip would surely have changed your outlook towards life dude and would hopefully make you a better person (you have targetted a step higher in the ladder now not sure if you realized this..spend some time thinking).

Non denial of ones roots is a great acceptance and speaks lound and clear on its own and does also show the soft corner that remains deep inside amongst most of the indians staying miles away from there natives for years together which guess mostly remains unspoken..but isnt the feeling of speaking loud and clear based on the realizations one get out of the experiences really amazing and cherishable.

:)Cheers

The thinking thinker said...

Shhhh...

Don't disturb the process of thought organization... lol